Breaking up with Burgers Breaking up with Burgers Breaking up with Burgers Breaking up with Burgers

Monday, April 13, 2009

Words of wisdom

I was an English major. Then I became a Communication major. To say that words are my life would be an understatement. I talk - a lot. I read - a lot. I use song lyrics as blog titles, for Pete's sake!

(Yeah, yeah, yeah, Mrs. B...what's the point?)

I have an affinity for elloquent speakers. JFK? Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt? Barack Obama? They move me. So now, I'm channeling my love for wisdom and elloquence by posting some of my favorite motivational and weight-loss quotes. I'm posting them here, and I will also post them on the side of the blog, so that they will be there to motivate for all eternity. (What? You think that's stretching it a bit?)

I found some of these through one of my awesome BHM ladies, and others, I found myself.

I hope you find some inspiration from them, as I have. ("Finish strong" is my mantra during the last few minutes of my workouts!)

Jillian Michaels:
  • "Finish strong!"
  • "Fitness to me isn't about a crunch or a push up - it's about taking your power back."
  • "Unless you puke, faint or die - KEEP GOING!"

Unknown Author (if you know who said these, let me know):

  • "Nothing worth having comes easily."
  • "Never exchange the thing you want most for the thing you want in the moment" -BHM Misha's WW Leader, Phil. Thanks, Misha!
  • "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels." - Weight Watchers - thanks Lyndsey!

Well known personalities:

  • "You must do the thing you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt
  • "Never, never, never quit." - Winston Churchill
  • "We can do anything we want to, if we stick to it long enough." - Helen Keller
  • "The future depends on what we do in the present." - Mahatma Ghandi

People I've never heard of, but I liked what they had to say:

  • "Your goals, minus your doubts, equal your reality." - Ralph Marston
  • "One way to get thin is to re-establish a purpose in life." - Cyril Connolly
  • "You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be." - David Viscott
  • "Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going." - Jim Ryun

And a Japanese Proverb thrown in:

  • "Fall seven times, stand up eight."

Do you have any great motivational quotes that you'd like to share with the rest of the class?

3 comments:

Lyndsey said...

The "nothing tastes as good as thin feels" one is the weight-watchers mantra.

My favorite is the chinese proverb. But maybe that is because I have fallen about 47 times in the past few days? Blasted Easter! :)

Misha said...

Great quotes, Anna! The "Never exchange..." quote is from my WW leader, Phil. :) I quoted him incorrectly, though. Not that it really matters, but it's "Never exchange what you want the most for what you want at the moment."

TriciaNae said...

I love them. I love the fall seven times, stand up eight. That would be my mantra. LOL

I also saw a video that really moved me...about weight loss not being about trying...it's about doing. Trying is just a state of mind. They used the example "trying to get out of a chair" you either do or you don't. It really hit a nerve (a good one) with me. I'm done trying...because for me...trying=not doing. I'm going to start doing.