Breaking up with Burgers Breaking up with Burgers Breaking up with Burgers Breaking up with Burgers

Monday, January 25, 2010

So...

Two weeks ago, I ran a mile non-stop for the very first time in my life.

Then I did nothing.

Tonight, I ran a mile non-stop for the very second time in my life. And I did it 58 seconds faster.

What I'm learning from this is that I was always able to run a mile, I just never believed I could, and never cared enough to find out.

The first time, it was pretty easy. I didn't even start hurting until about 8/10 of a mile. Tonight, it was way harder. I didn't sleep well last night, I didn't wait very long after dinner for my food to digest, I've been super sore for the past 3-4 days for some unknown reason, and (tmi warning, my friends) TOM's visiting. Instead of breezing through 8/10 of a mile, I struggled through it.

Every. Single. Step.

I told myself I could quit at .5 mile. Then I got there and told myself I needed to see how much farter I could go. I got to .650 and wanted to quit so badly, but the OCD in me wanted to keep going until at least .75o, a much nicer number. Got to .750 and almost cried, I was so miserable. Luckily, the numbers were moving pretty quickly, so the suffering was not incredibly long-lived.

I made it to 1.000 for the 2nd time ever. So this means that no matter what, no matter the day, no matter how sucky it is, no matter how much I hurt, I can make it to 1.000.

No matter what.

3 comments:

Cole Walter Mellon said...

Good for you for sticking with it. You're really becoming some kind of athlete...

Ashlee said...

Great job! It's SO challenging to run... but so rewarding.

Sammy Sue said...

You are awesome! I'm totally jealous right now! Keep on keepin' on! Love you! :-)